report a road
Improve road maintenance by reporting road defects to the highways department of your local authority or, for motorways and trunk roads, the local office of the Highways Agency.
Motorcycles and scooters cause less damage to roads than any other motorised vehicles, but are more susceptible to defective road surfaces. Badly maintained roads resulting in worn out surfaces, potholes, sunken drains/inspection covers and use of overbanding etc. are often a contributory factor in motorcycle and scooter accidents. With properly maintained roads, the rider spends less time checking the road surface for hazards and more time anticipating potential dangers from other road users.
This section features an alphabetically indexed list of contact details for county, local, and unitary authorities with responsibility for repairing road defects.
Note: In cases of diesel spillage, mud, or other road surface contamination that is a danger to road users, notify the local police.
How to use this page:-
1) Ensure you have accurate details of the road defect in question. This should include name of street or road and road number if possible; location of defect i.e. outside house number; by pub name; church; opposite lamp standard, other street furniture, sign etc.
2) Locate appropriate authority in the list and report defect by phone, e-mail or their on-line response form.
3) Ensure you have either contact name and number of person dealing with defect or reference number of defect report.
4) If defect is not repaired within a reasonable time contact authority and refer to original contact or reference number.
5) If defect is still not repaired consider contacting your local Councillor, MP or BMF Representative.
Note: A call centre system with the unlikely name of CLARENCE (Customer Lighting And Roads ENquiry CEntre ) is used in various areas of the UK to allow you to quickly and easily report any road and lighting defects and hazards.
• Northern Ireland
How to include / update information in this section:
Please email all changes / updates to email@example.com