BMW Motorrad sells 8,478 new UK models in record 2015
BMW is emerging as one of the most popular brands for motorcyclists in the UK.
BMW Motorrad UK had another record-breaking year for new motorcycle registrations with 8,478 new models sold during 2015.
The Motorcycle Industry Association official year-end registration figures show that the company is now the market leader for motorcycles over 500cc – and that the combined sales of the R 1200 GS and Adventure make it the most popular model over 125cc.
Significant growth in the UK, European and North American markets have propelled BMW Motorrad to its best ever year for global sales, with over 135,000 motorcycles sold in 2015.
2015 Sales Highlights:
- 2015 was BMW Motorrad UK’s most successful year ever for new motorcycle registrations.
- Sales increased by 22% from 6,959 in 2014 to 8,487 in 2015.
- BMW Motorrad UK sales outperformed the market which grew by 15.8% in 2016.
- R 1200 GS is BMW’s best-selling model with 1,407 sold.
- R 1200 GS Adventure is in second place with 1,292.
- Combined R 1200 GS and Adventure sales in the UK saw 2,699 making the GS the best-selling powered two-wheeler overall.
- BMW models account for 28% of the adventure sector.
- S 1000 RR is the UK’s favourite supersports model over 125cc with 859 sold.
- The S 1000 RR outsold its nearest class rival by 40%.
- Touring Sector:
- R 1200 RT is the best-selling touring motorcycle with 719 sold.
- BMW models account for 54% of the touring sector.
UK Market Share:
- BMW Motorrad UK Market share over 500cc has continued to grow and is now 16.8% – the highest ever for the brand.
- BMW Motorrad UK is the most popular brand over 500cc
- This puts BMW Motorrad as the third most popular brand in the overall powered two-wheeler market.
- Market share has increased from 7.5% in 2007 to 16.8% in 2015, a 66% increase over the period.
Phil Horton, General Manager for BMW Motorrad UK, said: “We are once again celebrating a record-breaking year for BMW Motorrad here in the UK. Our new model sales hit an all-time high with 8,487 registered in 2015 – an increase of 22% year-on-year. This makes BMW Motorrad the most popular manufacturer over 500cc in the UK – a huge milestone for the brand.
“As well as our strongest ever model line-up, our success last year could not have happened without the support from our network of BMW Motorrad Centres. With their continued investment in our brand, and further innovation and class-leading motorcycles from the factory, we are confident that 2016 will see BMW Motorrad UK achieving another all-time record year.”