Claiming on your motorcycle insurance - do this first

claiming insurance policy

Published on 26 September 2016 by Robert Drane

Tags: , ,

Filed under Category: Tips and advice

Motorcycle law experts Thomson Snell & Passmore explain how to stay safe in the dazzling sun and darker nights…

How to claim on your motorbike insurance

As we head into the beautiful but dangerous autumn season, every motorcyclist knows to look out for the additional hazards it brings. Whether it’s glaring sun, the pothole pandemic or trying to keep your handlebars straight as you aquaplane your way to work, it’s your vigilance that keeps you upright. Hopefully the autumn will be fun-packed for you and your friends.

But what if the worst should happen and you or someone you know has an accident? If you or anyone you know is in an accident, think details! Here are some top tips for what to do after an accident – fingers crossed you’ll never need to refer to it.

Get driver details

It is a good idea to make a note of the other driver’s name, address and description. If the other vehicle is a commercial vehicle or it becomes apparent they are driving in the course of their employment, then get a note of the driver’s employers too. Get the details of the other vehicle: make, model, registration number, details of any obvious modifications or defects and the number of passengers with the driver.

Get evidence

Call the police – you will need the incident number for any vehicle or medical claims. If you have a smartphone, take pictures – this will help the police and your insurance company. If there were any witnesses, try to get their details. It is often the case that witnesses will stay until the police arrive and then leave before they are spoken to. Evidence from the witness could be crucial in establishing what happened and whose fault it was. Too many cases have to be compromised because the facts are unclear, which means that you could lose your no claims bonus and your excess.

When did it happen?

Take a note of the time of the accident. Contact your insurers as soon as possible after the accident to get a claim file opened. Take legal advice – this should be done at your own pace and as soon as you feel well enough. The key is to do it sooner rather than later while the evidence is fresh. Remember, in most cases you will only have three years to pursue a claim.

Accident and emergency sign


If you or a passenger has been seriously injured, they will be taken to A&E by ambulance. There are often minor injuries that you might not think are significant at the time, but it is useful to have a record of a check-up with your GP within a few days of the accident. Quick tip: call your work and speak to your HR team about sick pay - you might need to get benefits advice.

Insurance details

Get full details of the other driver’s insurance policy. Many people won’t know their policy number, but they will be able to tell you which insurance company they are with.

Get legal advice

If you’ve been injured, get some legal advice to ascertain whether you will have a claim for financial compensation. Make sure you approach a firm of solicitors that is approved for this type of work by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers and the Law Society.


Make notes of the circumstances of the accident while it’s fresh in your mind. Draw pictures to help you describe what happened. Include details about the time, the date, the location, the direction you and the other driver were travelling, the weather, use of headlights, streetlights, sounding of horns, indicators, brake lights, etc. Quick tip: Was it sunny? Was it raining?

You can inquire about a claim on someone’s behalf if they have been badly injured and cannot do this for themselves. Even where you think you might be partly responsible for the accident, you should still inquire about making a claim; you could still be entitled to pursue a claim which would then be reduced to take account of your actions.

Main image (insurance), image cropped to size, author Pictures of Money
Available from here, under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic licence.

Image right (accident and emergency sign), author lydia_shiningbrightly
Available from here, under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic licence.